Wednesday, Nov 26th

Last update:05:18:56 PM GMT

Deprecated: Assigning the return value of new by reference is deprecated in D:\sites\urbanswirl\components\com_kunena\kunena.php on line 696 Notice: Constant _KUNENA_USRL_NAME already defined in D:\sites\urbanswirl\administrator\components\com_kunena\language\kunena.english.php on line 692 Deprecated: Assigning the return value of new by reference is deprecated in D:\sites\urbanswirl\components\com_kunena\class.kunena.php on line 829 Deprecated: Assigning the return value of new by reference is deprecated in D:\sites\urbanswirl\components\com_kunena\lib\kunena.session.class.php on line 41
Welcome, Guest
Please Login or Register.    Lost Password?

American Idol 2012 Reviews, Analysis, & Prediction
(1 viewing) (1) Guest
Go to bottomPage: 12
TOPIC: American Idol 2012 Reviews, Analysis, & Prediction
American Idol 2012 Reviews, Analysis, & Prediction 2 Years, 9 Months ago  
I am back! Ready for my reviews, analysis, and predictions.

First, the pool of guys sound good and a nice mix. The new stage is not as bright as last season’s which I preferred. I think this setup is just for the semi-finals hopefully and they will scale it up for the top 13. With the judges, I generally did not find them critical enough. They are too soft and too supportive. It almost renders their opinions irrelevant how they praise all like a school talent show.

Here are my reviews:

Reed Grimm “Moves Like Jagger”. We already had Casey Abrams last season and the indulgence in playing drums reduced his vocal time. He’s very visual but I don’t believe he would be a recording star. Grade C+

Adam Brock “Think” That tired song? Why such a classic. Really disappointed with this performance. And I find him annoying. Grade C

Deandre Brackensick “Reasons”. Falsetto Idol. Nah. The high note was the highlight but I do not think I can hear falsetto every week. I know this Earth Wind and Fire song but most of America will not and this talented singer may not make the dent he needs. Grade C+

Colton Dixon “Decode Great song choice from the Paramore song book. He’s contemporary and I think his prospects are strong to make the top 6 for boys. Grade B+

Jeremy Rosado “Gravity” I was impressed with his choice of song but I don’t think America is familiar with this John Meyer great. Really good performance. Grade B-

Aaron Marcellus “Never Can Say Goodbye” I liked his classic soul choice but wished he made it more neo-soul to be more relevant for today. He looked and sounded good. Not much pre-live show coverage but if first impressions are worth anything, he did it right. Grade B

Chase Likens “Storm Warning”. I am sorry, I am not a country music fan. With Scotty’s Idol victory from last season, the comparison is immediate. Is he a star? Never underestimate the country vote and he could go through to the top 6. Grade C

Creighton Fraker True Colors” Nice voice but the song choice was too cheezy. I don’t get him. Grade C+

Phillip Phillips “In The Air Tonight” A smooth jazz version of Phil Collins rock anthem…interesting. Could go either way. I did not like it. He reminds me of Idol winner Lee DeWyze. However, I liked him. Grade B-

Eben Franckewitz, “Set Fire To The Rain” The Adele hit was too big and too old for Eben. I mean you immediately compare him to Adele and he does not come close. Lots of bad notes but he’s really cute. While his choice is very 2012, he comes off a bit like Justin Bieber trying to sing Adele. Grade C+

Heejun Han “Angels” Easily likable and finally a viable Asian American male contestant in Idol finally. I liked his song choice actually despite what the judges say. He could become the Jeremy Lin of American Idol…there I said it! Grade B-

Joshua Ledet “You Pulled Me Through” Wow. To go with an Idol success story song from Jennifer Hudson, I mean this performance was the best vocal of the night. He made it look professional while being restrained. Really! While the gospel choice of song may turn off some, I really hoped his vocal performance crossed over for mainstream America. Grade A.

Jermaine Jones “Dance With My Father” All that emotion going into this performance will propel him into the top 6 and his performance was very satisfactory. He was my favorite from the Vegas week. Grade B-

So we have to cut 7 out. My predictions for the Top 6 are: Colton Dixon for a terrific performance and to make up for being cut from the top 24 last season. Phillip Phillips earns a spot for his uniqueness and authenticity easily outdoing his competition Reed Grimm. Eben Franckewitz for the Justin Bieber factor and good song choice. Heejun Han while the performance did not overly impress me, he’s benefits from lots of coverage in Hollywood and stands out in a good way. Joshua Ledet earns his spot with his spectacular performance and on his merit as an incredible singer. Jermaine Jones gets a spot for winning America’s heart with his personality and nice voice and of course we love second chances don’t we?

So in summary...my predictions for the top 6 will be: Colton Dixon, Phillip Phillips, Eben Franckewitz, Heejun Han, Joshua Ledet and Jermaine Jones.

Let’s see how well my predictions go.

The judges will pick some for a wild card so I believe they will call back: Reed Grimm, Deandre Brackensick, Jeremy Rosado, Aaron Marcellus (the actual number has not been determined for the public). Of this group, the edge goes to Jeremy Rosado purely for casting purposes because he is among the younger contestants and there is not a Latino male in the bunch.
legionboy
Senior Boarder
User Offline Click here to see the profile of this user
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re:American Idol 2012 Reviews, Analysis, & Prediction 2 Years, 9 Months ago  
IDOL SEMI-FINALS (GIRLS)

Chelsea Sorrell - "Cowboy Casanova" by Carrie Underwood Ok we are going to compare you to one of the Idol queens and you just don’t. You also seemed to run out of breath. Competition from other country girls will ruin your chances. Grade: C

Erika Van Pelt - "What About Love" by Heart
While this was a nice vocal, her dress made her look older and matronly. I can’t see her getting many votes despite how good she is vocally. Grade B-

Jen Hirsch - "One And Only" by Adele
I really like her tone and going the Adele route suited her really well. I think she has a shot. She was one of the strongest singers of the night. She delivered an authentic performance. Grade B-

Brielle Von Hugel - "Sittin' On The Dock Of The Bay" by Otis Redding
Her mother could ruin her chances but she is so unlikable. Brielle on her own sounds good but I get “snob” from her. She should have chosen a better song. Grade C+

Hallie Day - "Feeling Good" by Michael Buble
She looked great and sounded really good. I think she could generate momentum. Grade B

Skylar Laine - "Stay With Me" by Faces
I mean that was a terrific performance. While I am not a country fan, I can see talent. She’s like Lauren Alain’s older sister and Kelly Clarkson’s younger sister. Surely the best country singer over...oh what’s her name that went first? Grade B+

Baylie Brown - "Amazed" by Lonestar
What? Another country girl? I found the vocals weak, pitchy, and lacking in substance. Grade C

Hollie Cavanagh - "Reflection" by Christina Aguilera
This is one of my favorite songs. Quite ambitious but I thought it was a good song choice for her. Her lower notes were quite shakey but she took on the power notes nicely. She looks great and comes off likeable. Grade B-

Haley Johnsen - "Sweet Dreams" by Eurythmics
Ok, that was different. Visually, terrific but the performance overall was vocally uneven. I’m 50/50 on this. Grade C+

Shannon Magrane - "Go Light Your World" by Kathy Trocoli
A nice vocal performance but the song choice is so cheezy. She looks nice too. She’s 16? Grade B-

Jessica Sanchez - "Love You I Do" by Jennifer Hudson
She’s sick? You are kidding me! She sounds amazing and can you see Jennifer Hudson in her voice? So young, but what a vocal powerhouse. Is she one to watch? Grade B+

Elise Testone - "One And Only" by Adele
An repeat song within the same show? Hasn’t happened since season 2 in a live competition show. Will judges’ praise help? I was bewildered which distracted me from her vocal performance. She sounded good. Grade B-

So we have to get a top 5. This is tougher one to call. Sure shots to me are Jessica Shanchez for her powerhouse vocals; Hollie Canvanugh and Skylar Laine for their excellent performances. This leaves the last two slots between the dueling Adeles Jen Hirsch and Elise Testone vs. Hallie Day. I think we’ll see both Adele’s get the last two spots.

My predictions for the Top 5 are: Jessica Shanchez, Hollie Canvanugh, Skylar Laine, Jen Hirsch, and Elise Testone.

Wild card choices I predict will come from: Hallie Day, Erika Van Pelt, or Brielle Von Hugel. Based seeing both nights, I think the judges will pick two boys and one girl.
legionboy
Senior Boarder

AMERICAN IDOL - Top 13 2 Years, 8 Months ago  
AMERICAN IDOL - Top 13: Reviews, Analysis, and Predictions
by Richard C. Liu on Thursday, March 8, 2012 at 8:07am ·
Prediction for elimination: Elise Testone

Whitney and Stevie...what a start! This prediction will be harder to make because it's unclear how many will be announced for the bottom. Since it will be one boy and one girl with the judges making the elimination decision. I bet Jessica Sanchez is sure to stay no matter what.

Joshua Ledet "Superstition." Going first is not a safe position to be in. The performance was very good but not outstanding. But we expect him to hit it everytime with his great voice. He could be at risk tonight. Grade B-

Elise Testone "I'm Your Baby Tonight" There was trouble here as the performance sagged despite how well we know she sings. She also looks quite older than the other female contestants (and she is older) so that's a problem for voters. Her lack of smiles during and after the judge's comments will do little to get votes. Grade C

Jermaine Jones, "Knocks Me Off My Feet." I thought this went quite well and I enjoyed it. Grade B-

Erika Van Pelt "I Believe in You and Me." She has her work cut out for her since she didn't make the top 5 girls and while I think she's a great singer, she will get lost in the pile and is at risk tonight. Oh, that dress looked horrible on her. Grade B-

Colton Dixon "Lately." He's got appeal and looks like today's rock stars. The performance was very good. Grade B

Shannon Magrane "I Have Nothing." This is a Whitney anthem but it wasn't delivered as such. Weak in comparison. Grade C+

DeAndre Brackensick "Master Blaster." His competition is Joshua and he beat him here. Grade B+

Skylar Laine, who sang "Where Do Broken Hearts Go." The country vote goes to Skylar so she's safe and the performance was weak to start but ended nicely. Grade B-

Heejun "All is Fair in Love." He makes me laugh. It was fair for most of the performance until he took it up a notch and it sailed in the end. Funny guy too which bodes well for voters including me. Go Heejun! Grade B-

Hollie Cavanagh "All the Man I Need." Finally someone came close to singing Whitney. Grade B

Jeremy Rosado, "Ribbon in the Sky." I really enjoyed this and he's got appeal. Grade B-

Jessica Sanchez "I Will Always Love You." OMG! Can we talk about Jessica??? I mean holy sh#$. Everything was amazing. The accapela opening, the soft and loud notes, the delivery was so Whitney and way superior than her competitors. The vocally quality was amazingly high. And the end...oh the end...OMG. Worthy of the standing ovation by the judges and probably one of the best performances ever on Idol. Grade A+

Phillip Phillips, "Superstition." I see Dave Mathews. Grade B

Predictions: I am going to predict there will be a bottom two boys and bottom two girls. Will add a third to each of they go with bottom three.

On the boys side I predict the bottom two will be Joshua and Jeremy. If there is a third, it will be DeAndre. The boy with the lowest number of votes will be Joshua.

For the girls side, it's more obvious. Bottom two will be Elise and Erika. If there's a third, it will be Shannon. I think the girl with the lowest number of votes will be Elise.

Then it will be between Joshua and Elise. They will vote off Elise.

Prediction for elimination: Elise Testone
legionboy
Senior Boarder

IDOL - Top 12...uh wait...Top 11: Predictions 2 Years, 8 Months ago  
Well…see you later Jermaine Jones! While I will miss your wonderful voice, it’s your fault for not disclosing as per your contract with Idol.

With that said, this was a so-so show. Many uneven performances and it still shows contestants can’t choose songs. Also, picking songs that were covers of songs in your birth year is a cop out. Really “Turn the Beat Around” and “When A Man Loves A Woman” and “Let’s Stay Together” were not song from their birthyear, maybe their parent’s birthyear.

Tonight the sound mix seemed off which made it difficult to hear the contestant’s voices.

Reviews:

Phillip Phillips "Hard to Handle" Points for singing under duress. Going first in a crowded field isn’t easy but he did well enough to shine above the disasters that followed. Hope he gets a fashion makeover. His choice of clothes is weak. Grade B

Jessica Sanchez, “Turn The Beat Around.” A disappointment after last week’s stellar performance. But she’s safe. Grade B-

Heejun Han, “Right Here Waiting.” Just was not good. Breathy, seemed off key. Grade C-

Elise Testone, "Let's Stay Together" Nice performance but is it enough to keep her out of the bottom again? Grade B-

DeAndre Brackensick's "Endless Love". It was endlessly painful. Not enjoyable and uncomfortable to see his performance. Grade C

Shannon Magrane "One Sweet Day" Ah…I see a rivalry between her and Hollie emerging – battle of the young blondes. Hollie won this round again. It was alright. Grade C+

Colton Dixon "Broken Heart", He looks and sounds great. Grade B

Erika Van Pelt "Heaven" I thought she was very good. Do you see another blonde vs blonde rivalry between her and Elise? Grade B-

Skylar Laine "Love Sneakin' Up on You" I thought this was very good and I think she’s a contender especially given she’s the only country singer in the group. Grade B 

Joshua Ledet "When a Man Loves a Woman" Loved it. He really delivered when so many that went before him were so-so. Redemption after being on the bottom three last week. Grade A

Hollie Cavanagh "Power of Love". So it’s her vs. Shannon. She power-ballad sung that. While looking great too. Pitchy, yes. Grade B-

Analysis:
Having 4 blondes really is a problem for each since America can’t tell them apart as easily. Can you? While Hollie delivered a great finale performance so she’s fine. That leaves Elise Testone, Shannon Magrane and Erika Van Pelt (do you remember who is who?). Elise earned the judges best praise among the three and sang a song that appeals to her non-tween demographic. I also have to add that Deandre Brackensick is possibly not safe given his not good performance. So which three will be on the bottom?

Prediction
There will be an elimination since they started with a top 13 in an 11 week competition.

The bottom three will be: Shannon, Deandre, and Erika.

My prediction for elimination is: Shannon Magrane
legionboy
Senior Boarder

Re:AMERICAN IDOL - Top 13 2 Years, 8 Months ago  
The prediction bottom three will be: Shannon, Deandre, and Erika.

---------------------------------------------
Well…see you later Jermaine Jones! While I will miss your wonderful voice, it’s your fault for not disclosing as per your contract with Idol.

With that said, this was a so-so show. Many uneven performances and it still shows contestants can’t choose songs. Also, picking songs that were covers of songs in your birth year is a cop out. Really “Turn the Beat Around” and “When A Man Loves A Woman” and “Let’s Stay Together” were not song from their birthyear, maybe their parent’s birthyear.

Tonight the sound mix seemed off which made it difficult to hear the contestant’s voices.

Reviews:

Phillip Phillips "Hard to Handle" Points for singing under duress. Going first in a crowded field isn’t easy but he did well enough to shine above the disasters that followed. Hope he gets a fashion makeover. His choice of clothes is weak. Grade B

Jessica Sanchez, “Turn The Beat Around.” A disappointment after last week’s stellar performance. But she’s safe. Grade B-

Heejun Han, “Right Here Waiting.” Just was not good. Breathy, seemed off key. Grade C-

Elise Testone, "Let's Stay Together" Nice performance but is it enough to keep her out of the bottom again? Grade B-

DeAndre Brackensick's "Endless Love". It was endlessly painful. Not enjoyable and uncomfortable to see his performance. Grade C

Shannon Magrane "One Sweet Day" Ah…I see a rivalry between her and Hollie emerging – battle of the young blondes. Hollie won this round again. It was alright. Grade C+

Colton Dixon "Broken Heart", He looks and sounds great. Grade B

Erika Van Pelt "Heaven" I thought she was very good. Do you see another blonde vs blonde rivalry between her and Elise? Grade B-

Skylar Laine "Love Sneakin' Up on You" I thought this was very good and I think she’s a contender especially given she’s the only country singer in the group. Grade B

Joshua Ledet "When a Man Loves a Woman" Loved it. He really delivered when so many that went before him were so-so. Redemption after being on the bottom three last week. Grade A

Hollie Cavanagh "Power of Love". So it’s her vs. Shannon. She power-ballad sung that. While looking great too. Pitchy, yes. Grade B-

Analysis:
Having 4 blondes really is a problem for each since America can’t tell them apart as easily. Can you? While Hollie delivered a great finale performance so she’s fine. That leaves Elise Testone, Shannon Magrane and Erika Van Pelt (do you remember who is who?). Elise earned the judges best praise among the three and sang a song that appeals to her non-tween demographic. I also have to add that Deandre Brackensick is possibly not safe given his not good performance. So which three will be on the bottom?

Prediction
There will be an elimination since they started with a top 13 in an 11 week competition.

The bottom three will be: Shannon, Deandre, and Erika.

legionboy
Senior Boarder

Re:AMERICAN IDOL - Top 9 2 Years, 8 Months ago  
Singer: Colton Dixon
Song: "Everything"
My Take: He’s def getting the god squad on his side. Smart move given this has helped past winners Scotty and Kris Allen. The performance was very good but the song was not well known. Idolize Lifehouse? Grade B
Singer: Skylar Laine
Song: "Gunpowder and Lead"
My Take: Ok…she isn’t as good as Lauren Alaina’s voice or Carrie Underwood’s but is she as good as past Idol country contestants? Almost. Given she’s the only one in contention but Hollie pulling a Carrie Underwood song later could undermine Skylar.
Singer: Heejun Song: "A Song For You" My Take: I want him to do well and he really pulled it out. Great choice with a soul song. While there are still enunciation and phrasing issues, his tone is really good. A few bad notes too. The standing O’s are starting to get tired but his performance may have been a personal best but not an Idol best. Grade B
Singer: Hollie Cavanagh
Song: "Jesus Take the Wheel"
My Take: High notes work, lower notes do not. This has been problematic. Grade C+
Singer: DeAndre Brackensick
Song: "Sometimes I Cry"
My Take: I like Eric Benet but idolizing him on this show doesn’t work especially as his performance went into the Prince range of falsetto. Judges praise overrated with the standing O. Grade B-
Singer: Jessica Sanchez
Song: "Sweet Dreams"
My Take: Too much staging but otherwise it was a terrific performance. You can tell she is heavily influenced by Beyonce. Grade B+
Singer: Phillip Phillips
Song: "Still Raining"
My Take: Johnny Lang…really/ Probably the most forgettable performance of his to date but it was consistent with the quality of his past performances minus the song choice not being popular. With all the guys, he’s really the only contestant a hetero guy would want to vote for. Grade B-
Singer: Joshua Ledet
Song: "Without You"
My Take: Mariah…really? The vocal performance was strong but another standing O is way over the top. This kind of Jacob Lusk type performance is potentially polarizing. Grade B+
Singer: Elise Testone
Song: "Whole Lotta Love"
My Take: OMG. Only Adam Lambert tried singing Led Zeppelin before on Idol. I mean that was great! That performance deserved the only standing ovation of the night. Rock on Elise! Grade A

Bottom Three: I think we are due for some surprises and voters begin to abandon their faves to support other contestants who are winning their favor. Elise is creeping up on Philip fans. Hollie creeping up on Skylar fans. Jessica creeping up on Hollie fans. Heejun making a comeback. I think the ones in the middle of the pack are going to get lost in the end. I honestly think Colton is the only one safe. So I predict Hollie, DeAndre and Philip will end up on the bottom.

Predicted for elimination: DeAndre.
legionboy
Senior Boarder

Go to topPage: 12

Latest Comments

From the Forum

Article Roundup

Cain More Qualified Than Bachmann

News image

2012 Candidate Herman Cain stated that he is more qualified than TeaParty favorite, Michelle Bachmann. Well, I tend to agree bu...

Read more

Joe Biden Grins, Guffaws, Snickers and Interruptions

News image

So we are in the aftermath of the VP Debate and every News Station and political blog outlets are talking about wh...

Read more

Greek Man Beheads Girlfriend on the Beach

A man in Greece beheaded his girlfriend on the beach and then trotted around with the severed head...the world ...

Read more

Bush cries while people die

Bush put on the crocodile tears as he gave the Medal of Honor to a soldier killed while saving ...

Read more

Leaking of a CIA Agent Identity is a Federal Crime

The outing of a covert CIA Agent - Valerie Plame Wilson - is a Federal Crime! This unauthorized leaking of ...

Read more

Black Friday - A Bang And A Bust

The raw stats for Black Friday are coming in.  So far, the deep discounts offered up by most stores did ...

Read more

Police Brutality Revisited

Lately a few high profile cases of police brutality have come to light.  But while we all gather and gawk ...

Read more

Obama's Grandmother Dies Before Election

One Day before Election, Obama's grandmother - Madelyn Payne Dunham died in her sleep late Sunday Night. She was 86....

Read more

John Boehner Criticize Congress About BP

News image

The Party of No Leader, John Boehner, is crying again, complaining that Congress is conducting too many hearings about BP ra...

Read more